Thursday, July 19, 2012

Where the boys aren't


Ever since I was nine or ten I’ve gotten along with guys.  In high school most of my friends, especially the ones that hung around, were guys.  I don’t know why except that I never really related to the way so many of the girls acted with their friends.  I wasn’t into the New Kids on the Block, I didn’t watch 90210 and I had a foul mouth and a dirty mind.  While other girls were pining for Jason Priestly and reading Sweet Valley High I was watching Chopping Mall and listening to the Dead Milkmen.

All I know for sure is that I had some amazing friendships with straight guys in high school.

Of course I also had a lot of male “friends” turn into emotionally and sometimes physically abusive assholes. I can think of four off the top of my head who either threatened me with violence or actually hit me.  Others spread slut-shaming rumours about me.  Others would only talk to me on the phone, not willing to be seen talking to me in public.

Still, I miss having straight male friends.

But this last few weeks of witnessing the vile, hateful and abusive things (here and here) that have been said to and about women I respect, admire, and in some cases consider to be friends has driven home how I got to a point where I no longer had male friends.

Because you reach a point where you can no longer ignore the bullshit that sometimes comes out of their mouths.  Part of the deal was always that you didn’t call them on every sexist thing they say, besides, to do so would be exhausting.  So I pulled back.

As I was reading all the hate and vitriol on Twitter this past week all I could think was, “There’s no way to tell which guys walking down the street think this way”.  There are truly no signifiers of who is safe.  As any woman in the activist community will tell you, lefty beliefs and proclamations of feminist ideologies is no guarantee that a guy won’t shut you down with misogynist epithets or rape you after he gets you back to his place to check out his collection of feminist essays.

And I know what you might be thinking, what about the queers? I’ve heard straight women say things like “just hang out with gay guys!” but being gay is not some magic bullet to shedding all your misogynist baggage. In some cases it’s just more open because, unlike straight or bi guys, gay guys don’t have to worry that they won’t get laid if they piss you off.  I’ve been forced to hide out in a bar bathroom because a gay male “friend” was trying to physically intimidate me because I was upset with his friend’s sexism.



So what’s a girl who likes to hang with guys to do?

There are many amazing, open, and thoughtful guys out there but the problem is that it can take so much time and work just to find out if any given guy is “one of the good ones”.  There are friends I had in high school that I still wonder about.  For various reasons I lost touch with pretty much everyone but I still miss some of those guys, especially the ones with whom I spent a lot of one-on-one time. I miss my friend Ryan who’s only reaction to me coming out as bi was to shrug and start talking with me about who we thought was hot, and who promised me that if I ever died he wouldn’t let anyone eulogize me by talking about how “pretty” I was.  I miss my friend Jay whose only reaction to finding me crying in his bedroom at one in the morning was simply, “what happened?”

But at this point in my life as a married mother in her thirties the door on new guy friendship feels closed to me. Because as far as I can tell, straight (or bi) guys don’t make close friendships with married women, especially when the only men I meet these days are married fathers.

So I miss those old friends, and I wish I still had that kind of friendship in my life but Goddamn if I know how to find it now.

4 comments:

  1. Some of my male friends have done the sweetest, most selfless things for me - expecting nothing in return. I remember during a particularly low point in my life, my best girlfriend didn't know what to say to me but one of my guy friends took me to a concert, made me a CD and made me laugh. Now he lives in BC and I miss him. I hate the assumption that opposite sex friendships must end with sex - its bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I lost touch with everyone and I can't find any of those guys on line. It would be so much easier if they had unusual names but, no such luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a really good friend of a guy I knew from grad school. Ten years older than me. We were both long-married (to other people). Eventually he got a job where I worked, so we had lunch dates every couple of weeks. He wasn't sexist; he was smart and kind and funny. He's the first person I told that I'd had a nervous breakdown years ago.

    He met Spouse once. I didn't expect them to become buddies, and they didn't. Then, one day, his wife came to our lunch. It was weird to see their dynamic because he doted on her in a way I'd never seen anyone really do. I wanted to like her, and to be friendly with her, but it was clear she didn't take to me at all. I think part of it may have been that (back then) I was more stylish, and younger.

    I hasten to say, my friend had never even fake-flirted with me! Nor I with him. But after that, things changed a bit.

    And then they moved away, and started a blog for all their friends to follow their adventures. So I got to read about how friends of theirs would be invited to stay with them, and taken all over town. Coincidentally, a few months later, Spouse and I moved closer to my friend. I proposed Spouse and I visit my friend and his wife, leaving the date open. Friend said they might be able to spare an hour or two. I dropped the idea, and stopped reading their blog - too painful.

    Now I'm older, and I look it. My hair is grey, I no longer wear makeup, I've gained weight. I don't even feel attractive, and I'm absolutely invisible to guys.

    I miss having guy friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that other women have this problem too but I'm glad to know I'm not alone on this one.

      Delete